Turin Shroud (MT)

 


shroudShroud of Turin - is the most mystical and mysterious relic in the history of mankind. It is named for the city of Turin - the first capital of united Italy, where it is stored in the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist (San Giovanni Battista). Shroud of Turin is a golden-yellow fabric length 437 and width 111 cm, weighing 2.25 kg, which is clearly visible double impression of the body of the crucified man. The fabric is a linen cloth, woven zigzag 3 to 1, is a common method of weaving in antiquity.

  

The shroud is the only one of its kind, a sign pointing to Jesus Christ, the incarnate word of the Creator, and invites us to compare our life with Him, who sacrificed Himself for us. Shroud shows not only the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, but also of His resurrection. This unusual way, the world provided evidence for the ever-doubting people, the truth of God reincarnated. In this cloth was wrapped around the body of Christ in His burial.

  

According to legend shroud for a time kept in the holy Apostle Peter, and then passed from student to student. In times of persecution, the most sacred and safe hiding information about it did not extend information about it could not serve as a pretext to search for her pagan authorities and lead to its destruction. After the triumph of Christianity under Emperor Constantine the mention of the shroud are numerous. It is known that the sister of Emperor Theodosius II Holy Pulcheria in 436 was placed the shroud of Christ in the Basilica of the Blessed Virgin in Vlaherna, near Constantinople. Holy Shroud mentions in Braulin prelate, Bishop of Saragossa letter.

 

 

In the year 640, Bishop Arnulf of Gaul, in the description of his pilgrimage to Jerusalem, mentions the Holy Shroud and it provides an accurate measurement. On the indwelling of the Holy Shroud in Jerusalem in the first years of IX century shows Epiphanius Monaco. Return of the Holy Shroud of Constantinople to Jerusalem in the VII century, due, apparently, with the development of Byzantine iconoclasm (635-850) and the danger of its destruction.

  

At the end of XI century reappear information about the Holy Shroud of Constantinople. Emperor Alexius Comnenus in a letter to Robert Flanders mentions that "among the most precious relics of the Savior in his Funeral paintings are found in the tomb after the Resurrection." Mention of "blood-stained shroud of Christ" is in the "Catalog of Constantinople Relic" Icelandic abbot of the monastery Nicholas Somundarsena for 1137. According to Bishop William of Tire, in 1171, the Emperor Manuel Comnenus showed him the King of Jerusalem and Amorim I Holy Shroud of Christ, which were kept in the basilica while Bukleona in Constantinople.

 

 

In 1201, during the seizure of large crowds of imperial palace and the rebels broke out a fire in the temple, Nicholas Mazarit (keeper of the relics), a contemporary of and participant in the events of his eloquence stopped erupting into the temple of the people, ready to plunder the imperial temple, the reliquary and the Holy Shroud rescued from fire in time of rebellion. 

 

Evidence of the disappearance of the Shroud of Constantinople, during the destruction of the city in 1204 gives the crusaders chronicler IV Crusade Reber de Clary: "And among the other was a monastery, known as the Blessed Virgin Mary Vlaherna where he kept the shroud, which our Lord was wrapped. Every Friday this shroud was unbearable, and rose to worship so well that it was possible to see the face of our Lord. And no one, whether Greek or French, more did not know what happened with the shroud after the defeat and plunder the city”.

  

 

After the disappearance of the Shroud of Constantinople, its history is full of events that are more connected with the Templars and the head of the Knights Templar, Jacques de Molay. That it appeared in obscurity, it appeared from nowhere. By order of Pope Clement V - in 1307 the Templars were arrested. He was arrested and Jacques de Molay and tortured to death.

  

After the arrest of the French Templars, it was not until forty-six years, and passion had subsided, much has been forgotten, and in 1353 Count Geoffroy de Charnay (Geoffrey de Charny), whose father kept the secret for so many years of sacred paintings, he decided that he had no right to hide from the great religious shrine Christianity. He began to build a church on his estate in the village Lirey near Paris, and before its opening showed a sheet in his house. Four years later the church was built, and the relic was moved to this temple. Death Count hid the secret of its appearance in France, and the shroud was hereditary.

   

In 1418, during hostilities, rector of the church lireyskoy withdraws the shroud from the repository and, fleeing from the advancing British and the marauding French soldiers, hiding with her first in the city of Humbert. After hiding in the fortress of Montfort near Monbarta in the Abbey of St. Hippolytus and other fortified places. The shroud has never returned to the village Lirey where it first appeared in Western Europe.